The Community Development Department is responsible for overseeing the current and long-term growth of the city through goals and objectives set forth in the City’s Comprehensive Plan. The Department is concerned with the use of land, protection of the environment, public welfare, design of public spaces and infrastructure, and the economy.
Our goal is to promote intentional collective actions to improve social, economic, physical, and environmental well-being, within the City of Hampton while preserving our valuable cultural aspects.
The Department provides Planning and Zoning, Building Code Enforcement and Permitting, Business Licensing, Land Development, GIS Services, and all activities which shape and define our neighborhoods, businesses, and community.
- Planning and Zoning services provide oversight to the city's current and long-term growth policies through the administration of the zoning code and the comprehensive plan adopted by Mayor and Council. The Department coordinates with regional planning efforts, provides strategic planning efforts, contributes design assistance on development projects, contributes environmental expertise and reviews, proposes amendments to codes and ordinances, etc.
- Land Development services include review and approval of all concept plan, development plans, preliminary plats, final plats, site plans, and as-builts for commercial, industrial, and residential developments to ensure compliance with applicable city, state and federal codes and regulations. The Department is committed to providing excellent customer service with “one-stop shopping” counter services to fast-track the application process whenever possible.
- Building Department services improve the built environment through enforcement of building codes and regulations. The city utilizes CommunityCore© for receiving and processing plan review, permits and inspection requests. This web-based platform helps the Department function efficiently, reduce waste, and communicate with applicants in a timely manner.
- Commercial and home-based businesses located within the city limits of Hampton, must register for a business license (occupational tax license) with the Community Development Department. To ensure your business is legal, and the location is safe for public use, a review process is conducted before the issuance of any license. This process takes approximately 30 days. Commercial businesses shall obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) prior to issuance of a business license.
- Geographic Information System (GIS) is a system that creates, manages, analyzes, and maps all types of data. GIS connects data to a map, integrating location data (where things are) with all types of descriptive information (what things are like there). GIS helps us understand patterns, relationships, and geographic context. The benefits include improved communication and efficiency as well as better management and decision making.
HOT SHEET - Updates on Key Community News
The Community Development Department creates a monthly departmental update report called the Hot Sheet. The Hot Sheet provides a snapshot summary of Community Planning Studies, Public Hearing Cases, Capital Improvement Projects, and Private Development Projects including the number of Development Projects Under Review, Business Licenses Issued, and Housing Data Updates. Reminders and announcements for upcoming Public Hearing meetings and application deadlines can also be found on the Hot Sheet. The Hot Sheet is updated the first Monday of each month.
Latest HOT SHEET
- Code of Ordinances | Hampton, GA | Municode Library
- Municode powered by CivicPlus contains a Code Library that contains ordinances of all fifty states. The City of Hampton Codified Code of Ordinances can be accessed utilizing the link above. Please understand the city provides updates to Municode twice per calendar year. Please contact the Department directly should you have any questions or concerns regarding ordinance updates.
- Henry County Tax Assessor
- Henry County Tax Assessor website is a feature-rich map that includes zoning, police districts, city boundaries, stream and floodplain information, Congressional Districts, House and Senate Districts, schools, and aerial imagery. The Tax Assessors Office determines the fair market value of all taxable real and personal properties in the county, including Hampton.
- Hampton GIS Services
- Our GIS professional staff is available to assist you with your inquiries. The Hampton zoning map and aerial imagery is available to view on-line. Printed maps can be obtained by contacting our GIS staff.